By now you should know I love my health-foods and fun facts about certain everyday produce.
This week I’m zeroing in on the cucumber.
The cucumber is often thought to be a vegetable, but in fact it is a fruit.
This green fruit is said to originate from India, going as far back as 3000 years. Cucumbers come in various sizes, shapes and colours depending on the different climate zones they belong to. They are best harvested young and tender as they are the sweetest during that period of time; the sweet taste of these cucumbers brings with it a crunchy texture which is mouth watering.
One cucumber holds many health benefits for the body; both inside and out.
Here are 11 health-facts of cucumber that should get you cucumber-packing in your next grocery trip…
- Cucumber contains around 90% water. So, if you are not drinking enough water during the day, eating one whole cucumber may just keep your body hydrated if you prefer to eat cucumber rather than drinking water.
- It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Therefore, cucumber is low in calories – half a cup of cucumber holds just 8 calories!
- This is a great food to remove cellulite and wrinkles. Forget about lotions; just eating one cucumber a day is one step closer to eliminating that cellulite and any signs of aging!
- Have bad breath? Take a cucumber and cut a slice out; pressing the slice to your mouth’s roof with your tongue for about thirty seconds. The photochemical in cucumber will eliminate the bacteria that are responsible for causing bad breath.
- Cucumbers contain insoluble and soluble fibre that can help you feel full and energetic.
- Do you take multivitamin tablets for strength? There is no need to consume those small pills when you have cucumbers that provide your body with vitamins. Cucumbers are packed full of oxidants, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin K, iron, magnesium and lots of minerals. Vitamin K in particular has bone strengthening properties, thus cucumbers are the perfect food source for stronger bones. Next time you think about popping a pill, take out and slice a cucumber instead!
- Eating cucumber slices before bed will enable you to wake up feeling fresh and free from any headache.
- The cucumber peel is a good source of dietary fibre that relieves constipation. Who said you had to take laxatives in order to use the bathroom? Any time you are struggling to go to the bathroom, eat a few slices of cucumber peel and you will be good to go!
- Cucumbers have mild diuretic property. This is due to the water content, along with potassium and sodium content. Thus, cucumber is a superb food for weight loss and weight maintenance.
- Are you tired of having puffy eyes and not being able to do anything about it? Have no fear if you have a cucumber near! There are many things that can reduce puffy eyes. One of these many things is a cucumber. Placing cucumber slices over the eyes for about ten to fifteen minutes a day can reduce those puffy eyes. This is due to the cucumber’s water content and caffeic acid, which is found in many fruits.
- Stressed? Cucumber can help you relieve yourself from stress. All you need to do is cut one whole cucumber into slices and place the slices in boiling water. The chemicals and nutrients that are in the cucumber will react with the boiling water and release steam. This will create a soothing and relaxing aroma as you place your face over the bowl of water with cucumbers in it. So, next time you are stressed – you know what to do to get rid of that tension building up inside you!
If you didn’t know then, now you know many benefits of cucumber!